Principal Scientist or Associate Director of Immunology
Our client is an early stage biotechnology company that is working on an antibody and small molecule based portfolio to treat age-related diseases. We are looking for a highly ambitious and experienced Principal Scientist or Associate Director of Immunology to join their team in San Francisco. This is an opportunity to make a significant impact on the trajectory and success of a small company.
• Design and execute in vivo and in vitro experiments to develop deep mechanistic understanding and confidence in target rationale. In-depth characterization of innate and adaptive immunological responses.
• Develop, execute, and trouble-shoot immunoassays, including in vitro cellular stimulations, multi-color flow cytometry (10+), ELISA, qPCR, and microscopy to support early-research and translational packages.
• Effectively present scientific data to the broader R&D organization, including non-scientific experts. Lead the preparation of scientific reports for internal and external communications and intellectual property filings.
• Lead and/or mentor research associate through senior scientists to maximize team’s impact and deliver data packages that address key strengths and gaps of the targets in a balanced and effective manner.
• Ensure quality and integrity of data flow, analyses, scientific reporting, and record keeping. Work with scientists to maintain standards for all laboratory records, internal reports, patents, and external communications.
• Serve as an immunology subject matter expert for internal project teams and manage collaborative relationships with project leads and key stakeholders to advance pipeline projects.
• Proactively advise and share knowledge to team members, peers, and senior management. Advance scientific expertise within function beyond direct area of disciplinary expertise to maximizes impact.
• Champion a company culture of creativity, innovation, and collaboration. Promote an environment of respect, teamwork, resilience, and scientific rigor.
Qualifications and Skills
•Ph.D. in immunology, aging biology, or a related discipline, preferably with experience in NKT cell biology, T cell biology, inflammation, fibrosis, or metabolism. Exceptional M.S. candidates will also be considered.
•8+ years of relevant therapeutic development experience, with emphasis on discovery and early clinical translation of novel therapies.
•In-depth knowledge and extensive hands-on experience with in vivo and in vitro modeling, immuno-phenotyping by multi-color FACS (10+), immunoassay development, ELISA, and qPCR. Expertise in high throughput assays (ex: transcriptomics), protein chemistry, and protein engineering a plus.
• Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, with a strategic mindset and willingness to navigate challenges in a dynamic startup environment. Being a fast learner and creative thinker with meticulous oversight is key.
• Clear written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders clearly and credibly.
• Strong interpersonal skills, leadership skills, and a high level of integrity. Ability to quickly build rapport with diverse teams, partners, and collaborators.
Benefits: Competitive salary (commensurate with experience). Stock compensation plan. Excellent health, dental, and vision benefits. 20 days of PTO, plus 9 federal holidays.
Projected start date: ASAP
Job Type: Full-time